From 1 November 2023, the shingles vaccine Shingrix® will replace Zostavax® on the National Immunisation Program (NIP) schedule for the prevention of shingles and post-herpetic neuralgia. It will be available for eligible people most at risk of complications from shingles.
A 2-dose course of Shingrix® will be available for free for:
- people aged 65 years and older
- First Nations people aged 50 years and older
- immunocompromised people aged 18 years and older with the following medical conditions:
- haemopoietic stem cell transplant
- solid organ transplant
- haematological malignancy
- advanced or untreated HIV.
Unlike Zostavax®, Shingrix® does not contain any live virus so it can be given to people aged 18 years and over who are immunocompromised.
For more information: https://www.health.gov.au/news/national-immunisation-program-changes-to-shingles-vaccination-from-1-november-2023
To book an appointment for your Shingrix vaccination or to discuss eligibility, please phone the Practice on 8271 3985